Tom Carper, U.S. Senator for Delaware

Passport Assistance

If you are a U.S. citizen and plan to travel abroad, you will need a passport issued by the State Department. Here is some information to get you started:

Current Processing Time

It generally takes the Department of State 4-6 weeks to process a standard passport application. For an extra fee, you may request that your application be expedited, which takes about 2-3 weeks. For updates on current processing times, please visit the State Department's travel website.

New Passports

To obtain a passport for the first time, you must go in person to one of 7,000 passport acceptance facilities located in the United States.  Delaware currently has 16 passport facilities throughout the state. Please visit the U.S. Department of State Passport Acceptance Facility search page to find the location closest to you.

You will need to bring:

  • two photographs of yourself (most facilities can do this for you for a fee)
  • proof of citizenship (usually a certified birth certificate)
  • a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license (a back and front copy)

Renewing Passports

You can renew by mail if:

  • your most recent passport is not damaged and is available to submit 
  • you received the passport within the past 15 years
  • you were over age 16 when it was issued
  • you still have the same name or can legally document your name change

You can download a passport renewal application from the U.S. Department of State Passports Home Page. If your passport has been altered or damaged, you must apply in person. For a renewal, you will need 2 new passport photos to submit.

Passport Fees

Current passport fees (as of November 2016):

First-Time Applicants

  • Passport Book (age 16 & older): $135
  • Passport Book (under age 16): $105
  • Passport Card (age 16 & older): $55
  • Passport Card (under age 16): $40


  • Passport Book (age 16 & older): $110
  • Passport Card (age 16 & older): $30

For the most up-to-date fee information, please visit the State Department's website.

Obviously, there are exceptions and many details and intricacies of the system. The Department of State's website has a wealth of information. If you cannot find the answer to your question online, I encourage you to contact one of my Delaware offices and a member of my staff would be happy to assist you.