Jan 13 2014
WILMINGTON – Today, U.S. Senator Tom Carper (D-Del.), Chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs, highlighted a volunteer cybersecurity program through the Department of Homeland Security for current students.
“The Cyber Student Volunteer Initiative at the Department of Homeland Security is a tremendous opportunity for young people in Delaware and across the country to learn about and contribute to our nation’s crucial cybersecurity efforts,” said Chairman Carper. “Now, more than ever, the Department has a need for the brightest and best students to help secure our nation’s cyber space. Cybersecurity is at the forefront of the Department’s work each day, especially in today’s modern and technological society, and the Department plays a key role in protecting Americans. Programs like this allow us to invest in the future of our students and our cybersecurity efforts. I urge any students who are interested in cybersecurity to take advantage of this unique opportunity and apply today.”
The DHS 2014 Secretary’s Honors Program (SHP) Cyber Student Volunteer Initiative is an opportunity for college students to gain invaluable hands-on experience by working directly with DHS cybersecurity professionals on a variety of tasks. The program is specifically designed for students attending 2-year or 4-year colleges or universities enrolled in undergraduate programs for volunteer opportunities with DHS. Students from both 2-year and 4-year institutions will be selected.
- US Citizenship required.
- Must be able to meet security requirements specified below.
- Selectee may be subject to drug testing prior to and during assignment.
- Current enrollment in a 2 or 4 year college or university.
- Possess a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Meet minimum age requirements of at least 16 years of age.
- Enrolled at least part-time in an accredited institution.
- Academic approval to participate as a student volunteer.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered for Selective Service.