Mar 16 2015
WILMINGTON – U.S. Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) is now accepting applications for U.S. service academy nominations from Delaware students. Sen. Carper encourages those interested in attending the U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy or U.S. Military Academy to apply for a nomination through his office.
"I urge young Delawareans that wish to give back to their country, gain valuable leadership skills, and receive an excellent education to consider applying to be a Service Academy nominee," said U.S. Sen. Tom Carper. "Students accepted into these programs are given a unique opportunity that will guide them well in their future."
To be considered for a congressional nomination, students must meet all of the general requirements of their academy of choice and submit an online application (as well as an application to the academy), along with supporting documents, to Sen. Carper's office by Oct. 15, 2015. Applications can be found by going to carper.senate.gov and clicking on "Service Academy Nominations."
- Citizenship: U.S. citizenship, or having obtained it by graduation
- Residency: Delaware residents only
- Congressional nomination: U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and U.S. Military Academy
- Age: at least 17, but not older than 23 by July 1 of entering year
- Marital Status: unmarried, not pregnant, no legal obligation to support children
- Academics: must complete SAT-I or ACT examinations
- Physical: must meet academy physical requirements and medical examination
- Morals: must be of strong moral character