Senators Carper, Coons help secure funding for Dover Air Force Base, protections for Delaware National Guard
NDAA supports construction at Dover and continued modernization for the Delaware’s C-130H aircraft; Legislation includes military pay raise
Dec 08 2016
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Tom Carper and Chris Coons (both D-Del.) today applauded the Senate passage of National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for fiscal year 2017 that authorizes more than $83 million in funding for new Dover Air Force Base construction projects and continues modernization of the Delaware National Guard’s C-130H aircraft. The NDAA passed the House last week, and President Obama is expected to sign it into law in the coming weeks.
“I was proud to fight tooth and nail alongside Sen. Coons and Congressman John Carney to ensure Delaware received this much-needed funding in the National Defense Authorization Act, and I’m so pleased we could deliver a home run with runners on base for our First State military families,” said Senator Carper. “Just last week, I visited Dover Air Force Base to meet with the Commander and his team, tour the Base and see how these federal funds will be put to use. I’ve worked hard over the years to get Dover Air Force Base the equipment and facilities it needs to carry out its important airlift missions. No mission is more important than ensuring that our aircraft are well maintained and fully capable of delivering military supplies to our forces half way across the world. That is why I am delighted that the last hurdle to building a new C-5 maintenance hangar has been cleared with the passage of this bill.”
“I’m thrilled the NDAA passed by the Senate today contains a number of Delaware priorities,” said Senator Coons. “It authorizes more than $83 million in funding for projects at Dover Air Force Base, includes a much needed pay raise for our troops, and continues the modernization of the Delaware National Guard’s C-130H aircraft. The bill will improve the quality of life for military families in Delaware and support new construction and enhanced operations at Dover and New Castle in the coming year.”
A list of Delaware specific funding included in the NDAA below:
- Authorizes $39 million for construction of a full-in maintenance aircraft hangar at Dover Air Force Base.
- Authorizes $41.115 million in funding for the replacement of Welsh Elementary School and Dover Middle School, which serve the Dover Air Force Base community
- Continues the process to modernize the Air National Guard’s C-130H aircraft, including the fleet at the New Castle National Guard base.
- Increases Army National Guard end strength by 8,000 to 343,000.
- Includes provisions that will benefit the more than 78,000 servicemembers and veterans who call Delaware home:
- Contains a 2.1% pay raise for military personnel.
- Makes no changes to out-of-pocket costs for active duty servicemembers or retirees.
- Provides two comprehensive TRICARE options – a managed care option and no-referral network option – for servicemembers, their families, and retirees.
- Standardizes appointment scheduling and first-call resolution when contacting Military Treatment Facilities.
- Contains no changes to housing allowance, including for dual military families.