WILMINGTON – Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) is accepting applications for United States service academy nominations from Delaware students. Sen. Carper encourages those interested in attending U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy or U.S. Military Academy to apply for a nomination through his office.
"As a veteran, I know that some of the most powerful lessons and skills that I've learned as an adult have come from my time serving our country in the Navy," said Sen. Carper. "For students who also wish to give back to their country, gain valuable leadership skills, and receive an excellent education, they should consider our nation's first-rate service academies."
To be considered for a congressional nomination, students must meet all of the general requirements of their academy of choice and submit an online application, along with supporting documents, to Sen. Carper's office by Monday, Oct. 15, 2012. Students can access the online application by visiting Sen. Carper's Web site at http://carper.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/service-academy-nominations.
- Citizenship: U.S. citizenship, or having obtained it by graduation
- Residency: Delaware residents only
- Congressional nomination: U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and U.S. Military Academy
- Age: at least 17, but not older than 23 by July 1 of entering year
- Marital Status: unmarried, not pregnant, no legal obligation to support children
- Academics: must complete SAT-I or ACT examinations
- Physical: must meet academy physical requirements and medical examination
- Morals: must be of strong moral character
For more information regarding the application process, please contact Lori James, Kent County Director, at (302) 674-3308 or email@example.com.