Sens. Carper, Coons to Trump: We Must Do More For Puerto Rico and USVIs
Senators Call For Swift Action From The Trump Administration
WASHINGTON – Yesterday, U.S. Senators Tom Carper and Chris Coons (both D-Del.), led by Ranking Member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Senator Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), sent a letter with 35 of their Senate colleagues to President Trump to express deep concern about the situation in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Calls on President Trump to issue a full Disaster Declaration for the entire island of Puerto Rico, which has yet to happen.
- Calls on President Trump to appoint a Special Assistant for Rebuilding, to coordinate the multi-faceted federal efforts for Puerto Rico across all departments and agencies.
- Calls on President Trump to request more funding to assist Puerto Rico’s Medicaid program.
- Calls on President Trump to utilize all federal resources to restore power, including sending Department of Energy experts; 500 utility employees; 100 fuel trucks; and 200 generators.
- Calls on President Trump to send more Department of Defense assets: construction battalions to repair power and transportation infrastructure, command and control aircraft for air traffic control; helicopters for search and rescue; and 1,500 service members to provide disaster and humanitarian assistance.
- Calls on President Trump to work with Congress to waive the local cost share requirement for FEMA public assistance disaster funding for all categories of FEMA public assistance.
- Calls on President Trump to send assets and expertise from across the federal government to restore communications, including from Department of Commerce, FCC, Coast Guard, and DOD.
- Calls on President Trump to ensure that FEMA, Coast Guard, and DOD work together effectively to restore all ports to working condition.