Time is Running Out to File Your Taxes, But Help is Here

Dear Friends,

Spring is here, and so is tax season. As you file your 2014 taxes, I want to share the ways that Delaware and the IRS can help you save time and money.

The IRS’s “Filing Your Taxes” website provides all of the information you need to get started, and steps for filing your individual tax return quickly and easily. They also give you options for how to file your taxes. If you’re comfortable doing your taxes and determining your potential tax credits on your own, the IRS offers Free File software or paper forms at no cost. You can also use Free File to get an extension of time to file, but make sure to pay by April 15 or you may face a penalty or interest.

If you would like assistance in navigating the tax forms, call 302-286-1654 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or visit one of Delaware’s IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers for help and assurance that you are filing your taxes correctly:

Kent County: 611 S. Dupont Hwy., Dover, DE 19901

New Castle County: 844 King St., Wilmington, DE 19801

Sussex County: 21309 Berlin Rd. Unit 13, Georgetown, DE 19947

For elderly or low- to moderate-income people who cannot prepare their own taxes, the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) provide free, in-person help. To find the nearest VITA or TCE program, visit the VITA/TCE information page.


The IRS estimates that nearly 5,000 Delawareans are eligible for a 2011 tax refund averaging about $700. If you haven’t filed your 2011 return and think you should receive a refund, you can get the money you’re owed by filing that return by April 15. Information on how to do so can be found here.

Finally, a few months ago I wrote to you about the Earned Income Tax Credit, or EITC. This is an easy, simple tax refund that may be available to workers who earned up to $52,427 in 2014. EITCs can be as high as $6,143 for workers with qualifying children, or $496 for workers without. I encourage you to find out if you are eligible for an EITC and how to file it.

I hope these resources make your tax filing process as smooth as possible. Please feel free to reach out to me about this, or any other issue, through email or by contacting me on Twitter @SenatorCarper and on Facebook at facebook.com/tomcarper.


TC Signature